2008年6月11日星期三

Avalanche vs. ATV

More ATV's Article

I was reading an article in the local paper a few weeks ago about how avalanche deaths this year are near an all time high in the U.S.. I found that a little weird since I hadn’t noticed a dramatic increase in Jackson Hole and the surrounding area. And, friends in Montana, Utah and Colorado that I talk with regularly hadn’t really brought it up in conversation and snow conditions are usually the first thing we talk about, especially during a year like the one we are currently having. Jobs, family, relationships usually come at the end of the phone call, have to get to the good stuff first.

But, it piqued my interest so I did a little research, and, sure enough, through March 18th of this year the 2007/2008 U.S. total of 34 fatalities is only one shy of the 2001/2002 record of 34. The numbers do not reflect Canadian fatalities, and the chart below shows the breakdown by activity:
*Data obtained from Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center

I was sad to hear that the number still continues to be high, especially considering articles I’d read that say education of backcountry travelers is increasing. Part of the increase is undoubtedly due to the power of modern snowmobiles and the access to dangerous terrain that they now provide. And the overall popularity of earning your turns has had an impact as well, the more people out there doing it, the higher the probability of accidents.

As I was lamenting the high numbers and looking into it a little bit more, I saw another article that said ATV accident deaths were at an all time high. Ok, that makes sense, big powerful machines that require little or no training to purchase and use. The numbers were shocking. 2,620 ATV related deaths since 2003, not including the 2007 numbers which had yet to be released by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. In the article I read the estimates for 2007 are in the 600 range. Over 3,000 people in 5 years, and over one third of those deaths were children under 16 as reported by the CPSC.

Those statistics to me weren’t just unbelievable, but kind of ridiculous. If I were an ATV manufacturer I’d probably take a small amount of the millions I spend to lobby congress to keep ATV’s free and dangerous, and put a little money into safety and consumer awareness. I spent some time as a kid ripping around the McCullough Peaks outside of Cody on a motorcycle, so I’m no treehugging hiker. But you can damn well be sure that my kids are getting their first alpine touring setup long before the conversation turns to romping around in an ATV.

没有评论: